Saturday 17 November 2007

THE BEST MEMORY

I went with my mum to Dad's grave this morning.He died exactly one year ago.I think about him a lot and loved him very much.When I was younger, I couldn't imagine him not ever being there,as I always asked for his advice.It was only as I got older and he began to suffer from alzheimers,that I realised that my sisters and I were now having to be the strong grown up ones,instead of the little girls we once were.The disease gradually robbed him of absolutely everything and as I watched it's progression throughout the last ten years,I believe I am changed as a person,forever.Sometimes,I'd convince myself that maybe he recognised me,when I knew deep inside that he didn't,but I always talked to him,hoping to unlock a little past memory and the odd time there seemed to be a glimmer of recognition for a brief moment.However,throughout the darkest days and sadly,they are still uppermost and so vivid in my mind,the thing which gave me hope, was a crystal clear memory which I held dear.You see, I remember,like it was only yesterday,as a child on the farm,my dad telling me when he asked Jesus to be Saviour and Lord of His life.I'm blessed to have shared that precious conversation with him and to have witnessed him daily on his knees.It gives me all the comfort I need.

No comments: